The Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) was signed into Federal law in 2003 by President George W. Bush. Its rationale was to “provide for the analysis of the incidence and effects of prison rape in Federal, State, and local institutions and to provide information, resources, recommendations, and funding to protect individuals from prison rape.” (Prison Rape Elimination Act, 2003) In 2012, the U.S. Department of Justice released national PREA standards to prevent, detect and respond to sexual abuse and sexual harassment in confinement facilities. The Act requires all federal, state, and local corrections agencies to have a zero-tolerance policy regarding sexual abuse and sexual harassment in prisons, jails, police lock-ups, and community confinement facilities. Advantage Treatment Center, has a zero-tolerance policy relative to sexual misconduct. All facilities comply with federal laws as they pertain to PREA, sexual violence and sexual misconduct.
In each instance of a suspected or reported sexual assault involving a client or clients, the Program Director or PREA Coordinator will immediately contact and consult with local law enforcement in determining the most expedient and effective course of action in the investigation of the crime. Advantage Treatment Center will not investigate any criminal allegations, and will instead allow and assist law enforcement to investigate. Advantage Treatment Center will ask of law enforcement that all PREA standards be adhered to while investigating any allegation.
Fellow residents, family members, attorneys, medical personal, or outside advocates will be encouraged to report any suspicions or allegations as well through any of the following avenues.
- • Direct verbal report to any ATC staff member, contractor/vendor, or ATC volunteer
• Direct written report to any ATC staff member, contractor/vendor, or ATC volunteer
• Through the DOC tip line at 1-877-DOC-TIPS (1-877-362-8477)
• Contacting local law enforcement
• U.S. Mail, kite, note, grievance or any other written method
• Calling the ATC PREA Coordinator, Brian Lynch, at 970-522-7383 ext. 122
• Emailing the ATC PREA Coordinator, Brian Lynch, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Calling the VP of Operations, Josh Mayhugh, at 970-522-7383 ext. 108
• Emailing the VP of Operations, Josh Mayhugh, at email@example.com